Booking a New Housing Applicant Interview


From Tuesday 1st September 2020, face-to-face interviews for new Housing Applicants are recommencing. Please scroll down and read carefully before booking your interview using the blue button at the bottom of this page. Ensure that you gather all relevant supporting documentation as per the checklist on Page 3 of the application form, otherwise your application will not be processed. If you have any questions before you attend for your interview, please contact the Housing Applications Team on 0761 10 2477.

Do I qualify on income grounds ?

  • Using the income bands set out below, make sure that your household’s net income does not exceed the income limit for your household size. If it is higher, you will not qualify for housing supports.

Income Bands
Household Type Income (€)
Single Person Household 30,000
2 Adults, no children 31,500
One Adult, one Child 30,750
One Adult, two Children 31,500
Two Adults, one child 32,250
Two Adults, two Children 33,000
Two Adults, three Children 33,750
Two Adults, & four or more Children 34,500
Three Adults, & four or more Children 36,000

How do I make an application ?

  • Download the forms below. You can also phone the Housing Applications Team on 0761 10 2477 to request an application form by post.

  • Housing Application Form - you need to complete this form in full and sign the declaration on the back of the form.
  • Certificate of Income - each person in your household who is in receipt of an income must complete one of these certificates and have it signed and stamped by Social Welfare or their employer.
  • HPL1 Form - First Applicant - (applies to both applicants if it is a joint application) Due to the Covid-19 emergency and on a temporary basis during this time, you can request that Waterford City & County Council undertakes an electronic process to obtain the information on your behalf from the Revenue Commissioners. Please state on your application that you give permission to the Housing Applications Team to obtain the relevant HPL1 information on your behalf from the Revenue Commissioner's ROS Service to support your application for social housing supports.

  • What Supporting Documentation is required ? (include all which are relevant to your situation):

  • Photographic I.D. (current passport, Irish driving licence or ML10 Form)
  • Copy Birth Certs for you and anyone who is part of your application
  • PPS numbers for you and anyone who is part of your application
  • Copy Marriage Cert (if you are married)
  • Copy Separation or Divorce Agreement (if you are separated or divorced).  If you do not have such an agreement you need to provide a letter from your solicitor stating that you are in the process of applying for a Separation or Divorce.
  • Proof of your current address – copy of a recent utility bill and a copy of your current tenancy agreement.  We also need proof that your tenancy is registered with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB).  If you are living with family, we will require a letter from the person who owns the property confirming when you started living there and if you pay anything towards the running of the house.  If you don’t have a utility bill in your name, we need some sort of official correspondence in your name showing this address.
  • Proof of Citizenship or Permission to Remain in Ireland (if you are not originally from Ireland) – copy of current Stamp 4, letter from Dept of Justice and proof of stamp in your current passport.
  • Evidence of Income – along with the Certificate of Income we need 3-4 recent payslips or Social Welfare receipts.  If you are paid through your bank, we need 6 months bank statements.
  • If anybody over 18 years in your household was born in the UK or any other country other than Ireland we require proof that you did not own property in that country.
  • If you have overnight access to a child or children we require a copy of the Court Order detailing overnight access arrangements and details of any maintenance payments in respect of this child or children.  If you do not have a Court Order you need to obtain a sworn affidavit completed by both parents of the child/children.
  • If you are applying on medical grounds we require a current consultant’s report detailing the medical condition.  This will be reviewed by the Area Medical Officer.

  • What happens when I arrive for my appointment?

    • You will receive a call from a member of staff the day before your interview and you will be asked to re-confirm if you are attending.
    • On the day allow sufficient time to get through the Covid-19 process prior to gaining entry to the Customer Services area.
    • Do not take a ticket and do not go to the Customer Services Desk.
    • Go straight to the Interview Room and take a seat.  A member of staff should already be present.

    What happens if during the interview there is something missing from my application ?

  • If there are items missing, the form and all documentation will be given back to you. When you have gathered the missing information, you must book another appointment.

  • What happens if my application is complete ?

    • If your application is complete, it will be assessed in full at the interview and you will be advised if it is likely to be approved or refused.
    • A letter confirming this will be sent to the address you provide on your application within 5 working days of your interview.

    What does being approved for housing supports mean ?

    • If your application for housing is approved, you will be placed on the Council’s housing waiting list.
    • Being an approved housing applicant also means you can avail of assistance under the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Scheme. There is a separate application form for the HAP which will be sent to you with your letter of approval. Details of how to apply for HAP are contained in the HAP application form. You will also be required to attend a separate interview for the HAP.

    For further queries, contact the Housing Applications Team on 0761 10 2477.

    Copyright © Waterford City & County Council