Skip to content

Mortgage to Rent Scheme

The Mortgage To Rent scheme is a government Housing Agency initiative to help homeowners at risk of losing their homes.

How do I qualify?

To qualify for the Mortgage to Rent Scheme:

  • You must be involved in the Mortgage Arrears Resolution Process (MARP) and agree that you can no longer afford to pay your mortgage now or in the future.
  • You must own the property you live in, with a current market value of less than €220,000 in the Dublin area or less than €180,000 in the rest of the country.
  • Your property must be in good condition, be in a suitable location and must suit your needs.
  • You must not own any other property or have assets in excess of €20,000.
  • Your net household income must not exceed €25,000*, €30,000* or €35,000* a year, depending on what part of the country you live in (net household income is the household income after taxes and social insurance (PRSI) have been deducted).

(* Additional allowances for children)

  • You must have a long-term right to remain in Ireland.

How does the scheme work?

  • You must be approved for the Mortgage to Rent Scheme by your lender.
  • Your home must be approved by the Irish Council for Social Housing as suitable.
  • You must be approved for social housing support by your local authority.

You voluntarily surrender possession of your home to your lender who immediately sells it to a housing association, who will then rent it back to you. You will no longer own your property but you can continue living in your home as a social housing tenant and will have a tenancy agreement with the local authority.

How do I apply for the scheme?

Where appropriate, your lender will offer you the opportunity to apply for the scheme and give you an application form. You agree to surrender ownership of your home in exchange for a tenancy agreement with the local authority.

  • You then complete your Mortgage to Rent Scheme form, plus a Social Housing Support Application form, and give them to your local authority.

You must also get independent legal and debt advice about your situation. Your lender will pay up to €500 for this legal advice. The Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS) can provide independent debt advice or you can obtain the name of an approved Financial Advisor on

Your lender will pay this advisor €250 directly on confirmation of receipt of the advice.

What are the benefits of the scheme?

  • Peace of mind for you and your family, as you remain living in your home without disruption, in line with the terms of your tenancy agreement.
  • You pay an income-based affordable rent.
  • The proceeds from the sale of your home to the Housing Association will go towards your mortgage debt and you come to an arrangement with your lender for remaining debt, if any.
  • There is the potential option to buy back your home after a period of 5 years, if your situation improves.
  • The Housing Association will look after property maintenance issues as set out in your tenancy agreement.