Skip to content

When do I need planning permission?

Generally, you need planning permission for any development of land or property unless the development is specifically exempted.

“Development” includes carrying out works (building, demolition, alteration) on, in, over or under land or buildings and making material (i.e. significant) changes to the use of the land or buildings. Failure to obtain planning permission where it is required can result in penalties (e.g. significant fines and/ or even imprisonment).

It is also possible to apply online – users should register and apply via the ePlanning Portal.

Online you can :

  • Make and manage Planning Applications
  • Make a Submission on a Planning Application
  • View/Make a Submission on Part 8 schemes
A Guide to Planning Permission

Alternatively, an applicant can submit a completed ‘Standard Planning Application’ together with all necessary supporting documentation and the appropriate fee to: The Planning Department, Waterford City & County Council, Menapia Building, The Mall, Waterford.

Standard Planning Application form

Exempted Developments

Exempted developments do not require planning permission.

Categories of exempted development are set out on this page and in the Planning and Development Regulations 2001-2010.

They refer to developments of a minor nature, such as small extensions to houses and so on. It is your resonsibility to ensure that any existing or planned development falls within the exemption thresholds (size, height, etc). If the particular development exceeds the thresholds listed, the development requires planning permission.

Types of Planning Permission

There are several types of planning permission, depending on what you are planning to build.

This section outlines the various types.